- Our aim is that the children at Camps Hill leave with a secure understanding about significant people, time periods and events in the past and how this impacts on present life.
- Over their time at Camps Hill, we want the children to develop a mental timeline of the past, knowing when different events and periods of time fit in with each other.
- We will provide opportunities for the children to have knowledge about the history of the local area as well as knowing about the history of Britain and the wider world.
- The children will develop skills to work out answers and make links with other areas of the curriculum, challenging information sources and drawing conclusions.
- We want the children to develop a lifelong curiosity about the past, using their historical skills to continue to find out about the past and how it impacts on their present and future.
- Our History progression document ensures the children receive a broad and balanced curriculum, focussing on a range of historical areas of learning, including a progression of skills and historical vocabulary (from EYFS to Year 6).
- We use our skills wheels in every lesson (from EYFS to Year 6) to help the children recognise which skills they are using, ensuring that prior skills are built upon.
- History is taught through investigation and enquiry, encouraging children to be 'Historians' and looking at the world through the 'Eyes of a Historian'.
- Our whole school History 'WoW' days and our class 'Wow' days provide active, first hand experiences for our children. This makes History learning both fun and memorable.
- Links with local museums give pupils an opportunity to find out about local history, develop a sense of belonging to their community and access quality artefacts and historical evidence.
How we measure impact:
The National Curriculum has been broken down across Key Stage 1 and 2 to ensure that key skills and knowledge are taught.
At the end of the year, teachers will make judgements about pupil's understanding/application and record these on our assessment system. Pupils will be judged at working towards, at or beyond these age related expectations.
Chells Way, Stevenage, Herts SG2 0LT